Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Smell,.... A Sound....A taste...

How does a smell, bring back a thousand memories?
I mean, you can talk to someone on the phone or text or IM and talk about things from the past and never really remember everything during that conversation....BUT walk by a stranger in the store that is wearing a Familure Cologne and it triggers a thousand VIVID memories of things from that time in your life.
What triggers that? how does that happen?
It is not just a smell, it is a song, a taste, BUT mostly a SMELL, So as I lie awake on another sleepless night, (which happens more and more these days, thank God for laptops so I can lay in bed at least) I think about this Because I was just going thru one of my many cases of make up and perfumes and I sprayed this one perfume that I forgot I had, Some Tommy Hilfiger Bottle, and in an instant I was 21 again living in the house right next door to my mom, and all the people that were in my life at that time, all those memories were right there again.
So since I can not sleep I thought that I would research a little into why this happens..
A smell can bring on a flood of memories, influence people's moods and even affect their work performance. Because the olfactory bulb is part of the brain's limbic system, an area so closely associated with memory and feeling it's sometimes called the "emotional brain," smell can call up memories and powerful responses almost instantaneously.

So true...I can be driving to work having a great day and hear a song that puts me in a puddle of tears becasue it reminds me of my grandparents that I miss so much everyday, at christmas and thanksgiving all the things that I try and prepare just like my grandma did, When I take that bute it takes me back to 1990 or what ever year it was that I helped grandma make it to learn her little secrets... Or the SMELL of black coffee any time any where will bring a flood of childhood memories.
Well now that I have just relived living next to my mom again with just the smell of a perfume that I must have owned at that time from the looks of the bottle..I think it is time for me to head to bed.

1 comment:

Mrs. Wilson said...

This is SOOOO true and you post made me think.

Today I was going to Wal-Mart to get milk and I walked by this guy that was wearing this Cologne (sp?) that my ex used to wear, now I don't care a thing about my ex anymore of course but it made me think back to to that time! The smell of baby lotion will ALWAYS remind me of the first time I held my daughter, no matter which kid is wearing it.