Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Addictive Behavior

Man oh man, like father like son when it comes to addictive behavior, No matter what it is and no I am not talking anything illegal so don't go there.
Matthew has become completely addicted to the XBox and I hate it.
Dean is that way with anything and everything. He gets addicted to anything including GUM of all things. Dean will go thru a pack of gum a day because now its an addiction. Red Bulls, Video Games, Popsicles, You name it Dean is either addicted to it or has been in the past.
Matthew is showing the same signs when it comes to the XBOX. he plays it when he gets home from school and could easily sit there ALL day playing it if I let him, (which I don't). Recently the XBOX stopped working (Thank God) and it had to be taken in to get repaired.
You would have thought that the world ended in my house. From the time that Matthew opened his eyes in the morning until he closed them at night, it was "where is the XBOX?" "When is it gonna be fixed?" "I want to play my games Mom" all day every day and it was at the "shop" for a week!
I was so tired of hearing about it, while I originally thought that it being broke was a good thing I could not wait to get it back so he would stop talking about it.
The XBOX came home last night and it being a school night we told Matthew over and over that he had ONE hour to play or NOT AT ALL, he agreed.
But of course when it was time to get in the bath and put the XBOX away, there was an issue. Dean wanted to just jerk the controller out of his hand and let him scream, I on the other hand wanted Matthew to make the right decision and turn it off himself, so that he understands what is happening.... After a little power struggle my Little Man made the right decision and turned off the XBOX, took his bath and went to bed, after saying his prayer, the LAST thing he says before going to bed is "Can I play my games after school tomorrow?"
UGGGGG, Yes of course he can but why is that ALL he thinks about????
This morning, when he opened his eyes, do you think that I got a "good Morning" "love you mom" any of that???? Nope, it was "do I get to play the xbox when i get home from school mom?" UGGGGGG
Why does he think about it all the time, what is it about a video game that draws boys in? I set up arts and crafts time, or story time, or wrestling time, ANYTHING else and he will do that for a while but then wants to go back to the xbox, Do i take it away all together, or just keep on "distracting" him from it, as we do other things?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well geez mom, your no fun! But seriously I hear you, what is there to do hmmm.... I say make time limits and obviously for daddy two!! LOL Monkey see monkey do... But yeah, Brogen does that too, the neighbor boy let him borrow the xbox and it's been like that, i'm glad half the games are scratched and don't play...he gets bothered by this and leaves it... Thats a dilema lady but it sounds like you are doing the best things possible to work around this problem..good luck! :)